Between rent, utilities, groceries, and endless subscriptions, it can feel like you’re constantly forking out for bills. Chuck Cheap car insurance on top, and it’s enough to make anyone want to set fire to their bank account. Thankfully, there are several ways to cut back on your premium whilst keeping you and your sweet set of wheels protected. In this video, I’ll talk you through the basics costs of Cheap car insurance and 10 top tips (In the UK, USA, And India) for how you can save.
Table of Contents
Basic car insurance costs
The average cost of car insurance in the UK is approximately £471 a year. For drivers under 25, this could be considerably more. While over-50s, with a good track record, could enjoy much lower premiums. There are two main costs associated with car insurance. The cost of your cover is your premium. And your excess, which is the minimum amount of money you have to pay out towards a claim. Several factors can affect the cost of your premium including the drivers’ age, the type of vehicle, your location, driving history and habits, your occupation, and even your marital status. You know what they say: “the key to a good marriage is two excellent drivers”. A lot of these factors will be beyond your control, including the fact that in the UK you’re legally required to have at least third-party cover as a minimum. That being said, there are a number of additional factors that you can take charge of, that can help you save on your car insurance.
Basic car insurance costs 10 tips for getting Cheaper/Cheap car insurance
1. If you’ve yet to buy a car or are looking to trade in your old model, you can save at the first hurdle as the total value of your car is one of the main price considerations for your premium. Where you can, invest in a cheap, safe, and common vehicle, as expensive cars with limited security features and rare parts attract high premiums.
2. If your policy is loaded with features, drop any optional extras that don’t apply to you. If you won’t be pulling a trailer, for example, you won’t want a policy that makes you pay out for phantom trailer cover.
3. Increase your security. Consider fitting your car with an alarm or dashcam. Be aware, though, that not all insurers will recognize all security systems, so check in advance with your provider.
4. Off-street parking. Parking your car in a secure location, garage or driveway can lower your premium, especially in high crime areas.
5. Consider reducing your mileage. Perhaps you could alternate between driving and using public transport? And be sure to inform your insurer if your commute becomes dramatically shorter for any reason. If you really don’t drive that often, it might be worth investing in pay as you drive or temporary cover so you only pay for the miles you drive.
6. Only add drivers to your policy that regularly drive the car. If the usage is balanced between drivers, consider putting the policy in the name of the safest, most senior driver. Don’t try and use this to pull a fast one on your insurance company though, as this could affect any claims you need to make.
7. To that point, it goes without saying that being a safe driver will help keep your premium down. It’s easy enough to allow a few speeding points to creep onto your license. But along the trail of fines and points will keep bumping your Cheap car insurance costs up.
8. If you do get into any scapes, avoid making claims on smaller expenses. It might work out cheaper in the long run if you can afford to cover the costs of repairs out of pocket. Maintaining your no claims, and your reputation as a safe driver can make a big difference.
9. Shop around. You might think that greater cover naturally costs more, but it’s always worth comparing comprehensive Cheap car insurance against a third party, fire, theft, and other policies. Your personal circumstances and the age of your car might make a difference to the level of cover you need. There are loads of insurance providers out there offering numerous deals and discounts, so visit finder.com/uk to compare which provider would work best for you.
10. And finally, a potential way to decrease your premium is to increase your excess amount. Be wary of making this too high, though, as your insurer won’t payout if you incur damages less than your excess.
One of the key things with Cheap car insurance is to make sure your policy suits your personal circumstances. Head to finder.com/uk So, for more information, check this Insurence Article/Post.